Communications and Office Administrator
Job Description, 2017
The Communications and Office Administrator will direct our church communications strategy using a variety of tools to communicate to our church family and broader community about the worship, life, and mission of our church. He or she will also provide administrative support, serving as a welcoming presence to all those who contact our church, responding to them in a gracious, responsible, and caring manner.
As a church community, Southminster is marked by our love for Jesus, each other, and those we serve. We are a generous congregation with a strong sense of community. The Communications and Office Administrator will work with our small pastoral staff team and our volunteer Session (or board of elders). We value creative problem solving, attention to detail, and a gracious spirit!
Compensation Category: hourly
Weekly Hours: 16
Normal Schedule: Tuesday-Friday, 10:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m.
Pay: $15-$20 per hour depending on experience
Benefits: Paid personal time off 32 hours (2 weeks) per year; plus 4 paid holidays
(Christmas, New Year’s Day, 4th of July, and Thanksgiving)
Supervised by: Senior Pastor and elder from Personnel
- When in the office, take phone calls and greet visitors, answering questions, responding to requests, or referring to the appropriate person.
- Manage comprehensive communications strategy across platforms using digital and print media. Maintain the church website and social media outlets, using them as vehicles to tell the church story, communicate about past events, and promote future events.
- Produce weekly and monthly communication to the congregation.
- Prepare and print the worship bulletins for services including announcements or inserts to be included, and send a draft to those leading or assisting in worship. Also order promotional inserts for denominational offerings.
- Open mail and church email and respond or forward to the appropriate person.
- Open bills, fill out payment form with appropriate code, and put in appropriate box.
- Prepare the worship slides for Sunday morning or other special services, including scriptures and hymn lyrics.
- Manage sign-up lists for various rotating jobs in worship or around the church (ushers, greeters, worship assistants, counters, security, coffee fellowship, nursery attendants, or others)
- Manage and potentially design publicity graphics for bulletins, coffee room monitor, or posters.
- Coordinate the church calendar and schedule use of facilities.
- Maintain the church database, including membership roll, Sunday school rolls, name tags, and attendance, and periodically print directories.
- Maintain Session records, print annual reports, and assist in the annual statistical report.
- Manage records for safe church training and background checks for church staff and volunteers.
- Manage the Google apps domain.
- Maintain office equipment and supplies, and manage other church supplies as needed.
- Other duties as assigned.
EXPERIENCE AND QUALIFICATIONS:
- Has a personal faith in Jesus Christ and current or past participation in a church.
- Demonstrates computer skill using Microsoft Word, Excel, Google Apps, and MailChimp. Experience in Squarespace a plus.
- Meets people easily, builds trust, enjoys engaging people, communicates effectively and relationally.
- Is compassionate and respectful toward people from all walks of life.
- Is dependable.
- Is a creative problem-solver and planner.
- Can take initiative.
- Can successfully prioritize and accomplish multiple tasks.
- Good time manager.
- Personal maturity and ability to maintain confidentiality.
- Has a servant’s heart and is willing to do what is needed.
- Ability to write and edit copy is a plus.
- Subject to Reference Check & Washington State Patrol Background Check.