Church doesn't end just because the worship service is over. "Church" is the body of Christ seeking God's kingdom, not just an event on Sunday morning. Prayer, service, study and fellowship are important aspects of faith at Southminster that is not restricted to the hour we gather on Sunday morning. That's what the Table is all about. It's a private social network, just for our church, that enables us to connect 24/7, not just on Sunday.
The Table is our new online community at Southminster. Pull up a chair! The Table is a customized web site for our church community that features groups, ways to serve and connect with others, and a host of online resources in one location. It’s like an online directory just for our church, only one that allows you to meet other folks with common interests. Among other things, there are customized areas on the site for many of our ministry groups and we’ll have a prayer wall and discussion threads.
How do I join?
You can sign up for the Table here: http://spc.tableproject.org/register/welcome Secret Code "Presbyterian"
Now that you're on the Table, here are four things you can do to get started:
- Get rid of that default photo and upload your own profile picture. This will help people learn who you are.
- Fill out the ‘About Me' section of your profile with your interests, gifts and skills. This will help connect you with others at church.
- Browse ‘People' and click over to the map view to find other people from church who live near you.
- Go to the ‘Prayer Wall' and pray for a few of the prayer requests. When you click ‘pray now' the person can be notified that you prayed for them--instant encouragement!
If you need help with the Table we have two ways we can help you out:
Frequently Asked Questions
During User Registration, what information is required and why is it required?
1. Your email address: This acts as a "key" into our system so that we know that you are who you really say you are. More insight on this can be gained here.
2. First Name and Last Name: Self explanatory, I hope.
3. Home Address: The Table is all about local community. Your area will be displayed on the church map but not the exact house address. You control where your address is shown and who can see it.
4. Cell Carrier: Adding your cell carrier is needed to facilitate sms text messages on The Table.
5. Gender: Your gender will determine your default avatar and is important for search results.
6. Date of Birth: Your age and birthday are not displayed on The Table. We need your age to be compliant with the Coppa Act. It is not displayed anywhere on The Table.
Is The Table intending to sell or give data to third parties?
Not now, not ever.
Does The Table plan to sell ads?
The Table’s intentions with advertising as are follows: The Table will not utilize banner ads as a source of revenue. The right column of "ad" space will only be used to promote tools, apps and resources within The Table. Some of these resources we promote will be transaction opportunities but will not link out to sites outside of The Table application.
How does The Table plan on monetizing this program?
The Table will monetize itself over time by a multi-threaded revenue strategy including transactional revenue (from ministry resources), partner investment, church and individual user donations, product re-licensing to non-ministry organizations, and investment by kingdom-oriented individuals who believe in the vision of The Table and want to put their resources where they can be a differentiating force in strengthening the church.
When will a Table App be available for smart phones?
The iphone app has been released the 3rd quarter of 2011. The droid app will be available shortly after that. No word yet on a blackberry app.
Isn’t The Table just another “safe” facebook?
In short, no. The Table has written an excellent blog entry on this topic here.
If you have any further questions or issues that aren’t addressed here, please communicate those to Alan Davis.